Director Identification Number
Effective 1st November the ATO has implemented new requirements regarding director identification numbers. The following covers the key changes to be aware of.
If we manage your ASIC on your behalf, we will require your Directors ID.
What is a Director Identification Number (director ID)
A director ID is a unique identifier that identifies a director of a company.
Who will need a director ID
From 1 November 2021, all directors (or an alternate director who is acting in that capacity) of:
- a company
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation
- corporate trustee, for example, of a self-managed super fund
- charity or not-for-profit organisation that is a company or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation
- registered Australian body, for example, an incorporated association that is registered with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) and trades outside the state or territory in which it is incorporated
- foreign company registered with ASIC and carrying on business in Australia (regardless of where you live).
must apply for a director ID online from the Australian Business Registry Services (ABRS) website and will be required to log in using the myGovID app.
How to apply for a Director ID
The application for a director ID requires a director to verify their identity.
A director must complete the application themselves and cannot instruct an authorised agent such as an accountant or financial advisor to apply for a director ID on their behalf.
Additional information is available at:
You can apply for a director ID in three steps.
|Step 1 – Set up myGovID||You will need a standard or strong identity strength myGovID to apply for your director ID online.|
|Step 2 – Gather your documents||
You will need to have some information the ATO knows about you when you apply for your director ID:
Examples of the documents you can use to verify your identity include:
|Step 3 – Complete your application||Once you have a standard or strong identity strength myGovID, and your documents, from November 2021 you can log in here and apply for your director ID. The application process should take less than 5 minutes.|
For more information on how to apply for a director ID visit: https://www.abrs.gov.au/director-identification-number/apply-director-identification-numb
Director of a company – your obligations
As a director of a company, you have an obligation to:
- apply for a director ID within the relevant timeframe
- applying for a director ID when directed by the Registrar to do so
- not apply for more than one director ID (unless directed by the Registrar to do so)
- not misrepresent your director ID to a Commonwealth body, company, registered Australian body or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation
- not being involved in a breach of the above director ID obligations.
A director can apply for an extension if they are unable to apply for a director ID within the relevant timeframe.
If a director does not meet their director ID obligations:
- there may be civil or criminal penalties
- they may be issued with an infringement notice.
For more information on who needs to apply and when to apply for a director ID visit: https://www.abrs.gov.au/director-identification-number/who-needs-apply-and-when